Walmart launched its “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign, a nationwide initiative calling on the public to take action in the fight against hunger. The Feeding America nationwide network of 200 food banks, of which the Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest Pennsylvania is a member, stands to benefit from the campaign goal to secure at least 100 million meals for Feeding America food banks across the country.
Working with customers, Discover and five of its national suppliers – Campbell Soup Company, General Mills, Kellogg Company, the Kraft Heinz Company and PepsiCo – Walmart is offering three easy ways for everyone to take action against hunger and help families in their own communities through social, online and in-store participation.
- Purchase: For every participating product purchased at U.S. Walmart stores from April 17 – May 15, 2017, the supplier will donate the equivalent of one meal ($0.09) on behalf of a Feeding America member food bank, up to applicable limits. For every Discover card transaction made at Walmart and Walmart.com during the campaign period, Discover will donate the equivalent of one meal ($0.09) to Feeding America and its network of member food banks, up to $1 million.
- Online Acts of Support: Generate meals for Feeding America food banks by engaging with the Fight Hunger. Spark Change. campaign on social media:
- Facebook – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or react positively to campaign content; click on Walmart provided campaign content.
- Instagram – Create or share content using the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; like or share Walmart generated campaign content.
- Snapchat – Use Walmart provided “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” filters.
- Twitter – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or make a campaign tweet a favorite; retweet a message featuring the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; click on Walmart provided campaign content.
For each online act of support, Walmart will help secure 10 meals (an equivalent of $0.90) for Feeding America on behalf of member food banks, up to $1.5 million.
- Donate at the Register: In northwest PA, donate to the Second Harvest Food Bank of NW PA at the register during checkout.
With the USDA reporting that one in eight people in America struggle with hunger, the “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign comes at a critical time. Here in northwest Pennsylvania, 1 in 4 people may not know where they will find their next meal.
The Community Foundation of Warren County hosts an annual day of giving– Warren Gives. This special Warren County fund raising event involves sixteen hours of online giving with goals to raise awareness and appreciation for Warren County non-profits and to encourage new giving.
For more information, please visit the Warren Gives website.
Erie Gives began in 2011 in honor of The Erie Community Foundation’s 75th Anniversary. Erie Gives 2017 will take place on August 8, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
During this 12-hour period of online giving, The Erie Community Foundation will match a percentage of each donation you make to your favorite nonprofit(s) when you donate through their website.