Your time is a gift to hungry kids, seniors and others who don’t have enough food to eat. The Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest Pennsylvania volunteers help sort, process and pack food… and it’s a fun experience.
There are many volunteer opportunities available at Second Harvest. We work with individuals, schools, businesses and religious groups, just to name a few. Please watch our brief video below for more information on how you can get involved and become a Second Harvest volunteer.
Volunteer Shift Requirements
- We can accept volunteers 6 years of age and older.
- Children ages 6-18 must be accompanied by an adult chaperone at all times. If the chaperone is not a legal guardian, a copy of ACT 153 clearances must be provided to the volunteer coordinator.
- Volunteer shifts must be scheduled in advance.
- We ask that all volunteers begin the volunteer shift at the same time. If you are unable to stay for the entire volunteer shift, we ask that you commit to a minimum of 1.5 hours.
- We are able to accommodate special needs, but we evaluate our ability to accommodate on a situation-by-situation basis. Please contact the volunteer coordinator at 814-459-3663 x 106, to discuss your specific needs.
Family Day Volunteer Opportunities
Each month, Second Harvest and Smith’s Provisions offer a Family Day volunteer opportunity for families with children ages 6 and older. Family Days are a great way for families to introduce children to the importance of giving back to their community and that everyone can make an impact.
The food bank can accommodate up to 25 volunteers during our Family Days. These opportunities fill up quickly; it is recommended to schedule your family in advance.
Our group volunteer option is for groups of 15+ volunteers. Whether you would like to schedule a one-time or reoccurring volunteer opportunity, the first step is to call 459-3663 x106.
The following opportunities are available weekly for groups of volunteers:
- Mondays 9:00a-12:00p and 1:00-3:30p
- Wednesdays 5:30-8:00p
- Thursdays 5:30-8:00p
- Fridays 1:00-2:30p
Group Volunteer Age Restrictions
All participants must be at least 6 years of age.
Children must be chaperoned as follows:
1 adult chaperone for every 5 children ages 6-12
1 adult chaperone for every 10 children ages 13-17
2 adult chaperones are required for groups of 11-25 children ages 13-17
The food bank can accommodate groups up to 25 volunteers at a time. Please keep this in mind when calculating the total number of volunteers for your group.
Please bring a copy of your ACT 153 clearances when you attend with your group of children.
Group Volunteer Shift Requirements
The food bank can accommodate group of up to 25 volunteers. We ask that all volunteers begin the volunteer shift at the same time. We understand that everyone may not be able to attend an entire 3 hour volunteer shift. We ask that group members commit to a minimum of 1.5 hours.
Contact the volunteer coordinator