Volunteers are critical to the mission and success of the Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest Pennsylvania. Individuals, families and groups are welcome. Times are available weekdays and Saturdays (Saturdays are available between Labor Day and Memorial Day. There are no Saturday times during the summer months). Visit our How to Become a Volunteer page to view opportunities available for individuals and groups or click here to view our Volunteer Registration Instructions.
Volunteer Shift Requirements
- We can accept volunteers 10 years of age and older.
- Children ages 10-17 must be accompanied by an adult chaperone at all times. If the chaperone is not a legal guardian, a copy of ACT 153 clearances must be provided to the volunteer coordinator.
- Volunteer shifts must be scheduled in advance.
- We ask that all volunteers begin the volunteer shift at the same time. If you are unable to stay for the entire volunteer shift, we ask that you commit to a minimum of 1.5 hours.
- We are able to accommodate special needs, but we evaluate our ability to accommodate on a situation-by-situation basis. Please contact the volunteer coordinator at 814-459-3663 x 113, to discuss your specific needs.
Our group volunteer option is for groups of all kinds! Whether you would like to schedule a one-time or reoccurring volunteer opportunity, the first step is to fill out our Volunteer Group Request Form if you have a group of 8 or more. Otherwise, you can schedule your small group using our Volunteer Calendar.
The following opportunities are available weekly for groups of volunteers:
- Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday afternoons 1:00-4:00p
- Tuesday – Saturday mornings 9:00a-12:00p
Group Volunteer Age Restrictions
All participants must be at least 10 years of age.
Children must be chaperoned as follows:
1 adult chaperone for every 5 children ages 10-12
1 adult chaperone for every 10 children ages 13-17
2 adult chaperones are required for groups of 11-25 children ages 13-17
The food bank can accommodate groups up to 25 volunteers at a time. Please keep this in mind when calculating the total number of volunteers for your group.
Please bring a copy of your ACT 153 clearances when you attend with your group of children.
Group Volunteer Shift Requirements
We ask that all volunteers begin the volunteer shift at the same time. We understand that everyone may not be able to attend an entire 3 hour volunteer shift. We ask that group members commit to a minimum of 1.5 hours.
Contact the volunteer coordinator
Find out more about:
- Impact of Volunteers »
- How to Become a Volunteer »
- Volunteer Projects »
- Volunteer Spotlight »
- Volunteer FAQ »
Interested in becoming a volunteer? Find out how.