To keep our volunteers, clients and staff as safe as possible during the COVID-19 crisis, we can no longer hold open volunteer shifts at Second Harvest for the foreseeable future. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 Updates.
Volunteers are critical to the mission and success of the Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest Pennsylvania. Individuals, families and groups are welcome. Times are available weekdays, evenings and Saturdays. Visit our How to Become a Volunteer page to view opportunities available for individuals and groups or click here to view our Volunteer Registration Instructions.
Volunteer Shift Requirements
- We can accept volunteers 10 years of age and older. Children between the ages of 6 and 9 are welcome to volunteer on Family Days, sponsored by Smith Provision.
- Children ages 6-17 must be accompanied by an adult chaperone at all times. If the chaperone is not a legal guardian, a copy of ACT 153 clearances must be provided to the volunteer coordinator.
- Volunteer shifts must be scheduled in advance.
- We ask that all volunteers begin the volunteer shift at the same time. If you are unable to stay for the entire volunteer shift, we ask that you commit to a minimum of 1.5 hours.
- We are able to accommodate special needs, but we evaluate our ability to accommodate on a situation-by-situation basis. Please contact the volunteer coordinator at 814-459-3663 x 106, to discuss your specific needs.
Family Day Volunteer Opportunities
Each month, Second Harvest and Smith’s Provisions offer a Family Day volunteer opportunity for families with children ages 6 and older. Family Days are a great way for families to introduce children to the importance of giving back to their community and that everyone can make an impact.
The food bank can accommodate up to 15 volunteers during our Family Days. These opportunities fill up quickly; it is recommended to schedule your family in advance.
Our group volunteer option is for groups of all kinds! Whether you would like to schedule a one-time or reoccurring volunteer opportunity, the first step is to fill out our Volunteer Group Request Form if you have a group of 8 or more. Otherwise, you can schedule your small group using our Volunteer Calendar.
The following opportunities are available weekly for groups of volunteers:
- Weekday afternoons 1:00-4:00p
- Wednesdays 5:30-8:00p
- Thursdays 5:30-8:00p
Group Volunteer Age Restrictions
All participants must be at least 10 years of age. Volunteers between ages 6 and 9 are welcome to volunteer on Family Days, sponsored by Smith Provision.
Children must be chaperoned as follows:
1 adult chaperone for every 5 children ages 6-12
1 adult chaperone for every 10 children ages 13-17
2 adult chaperones are required for groups of 11-25 children ages 13-17
The food bank can accommodate groups up to 25 volunteers at a time. Please keep this in mind when calculating the total number of volunteers for your group.
Please bring a copy of your ACT 153 clearances when you attend with your group of children.
Group Volunteer Shift Requirements
We ask that all volunteers begin the volunteer shift at the same time. We understand that everyone may not be able to attend an entire 3 hour volunteer shift. We ask that group members commit to a minimum of 1.5 hours.
Contact the volunteer coordinator
Find out more about:
- Impact of Volunteers »
- How to Become a Volunteer »
- Volunteer Projects »
- Volunteer Spotlight »
- Volunteer FAQ »
Interested in becoming a volunteer? Find out how.